Living and Authentic life

Saturday, September 6, 2008

Well there you go.....

So I find myself thinking about change and about relationships and well humans in general.....I think its great for relationships with people to change, whether in a positive direction or a, "we are no longer going to hang out direction", it is a natural part of being in relationships, you start by finding things in common, or ideas or whatever it is that initially sparks any relationship and then it is either nurtured and grows and then changes as a product of the nurturing or people make different choices and it changes, finding less in common, or less to relate about, or lets be honest.....we get deeper and deeper with a person and then get to a place where we realize we would or wouldn't be friends with someone when more of their character is revealed. And certainly no relationship is in vain or needs to be labeled as wasted time, because we learn so much about ourselves in relationships and what we can continue to work on and better in ourselves, I guess its just too bad that that comes at a price sometimes, what I mean by that is, the hard part of change in a relationship, the letting go, the moving on if that is what is needed, or the sticking with it, because it is worth it, the ties run too deep....or more is to be learned from each other, either way it really is too bad when people can't move on or talk about things in a way that Christ would, and that is where my thoughts go about humans in general, how finicky and reactive we can be at times....it really is silly when you look at the big picture to ever leave or move on or "change" the relationship in hurt and anger....I guess that is what I am finding with my own relationships...having less expectations and more gratitude about what I can learn about myself by knowing and spending time with someone, because in the end, no matter how well I think I know someone.....I will never know them like they know themselves, and I can really only ever work on myself, I mean I believe I can influence others....and I can only change myself. I think when people want to start making choices, "good" or "bad" they want to surround themselves with people who support their choices so they don't have to feel bad about their behavior, whether good or bad, but I am talking more about "poor" choices here, and you want to surround yourself with people who share your same values, if that changes you are going to change your friends, it is inevitable...(I think this also happens in any kind of relationship by the way), and so there in lies my thoughts.....I get why relationships change and that there are always two sides to every story...I find myself moving to a place of not who can I be closest to, but how can I be grateful to spend quality time with people who help make me a better person and how can I savor those times, whether with friends/family or a spouse....So change is GREAT and I am glad I have had recent experiences with some of my relationships changing, it has challenged my perceptions about expectations, what really matters, and ultimately how to have more gratitude and less judgement and less expectation.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Change is inevitable, every relationship will change, sometimes for the better and sometimes not. But we will always take something from every relationship good and bad that can help us grow as a human being. Hang in there!

Mary said...

Life is funny, we think we know something or someone, and then WHAM! life happens and things are completely different than we ever thought they could be.

I hope to see you when you come up this weekend or next. Please call!